WHAT IS A ROOM PARENT?
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- Get information from all your parents – get to know them! A good time to do this is Back To School Night in September.
- Best phone number and time to contact them
- Email address
- When they are available
- What they like to do.
- MAKE SURE THE PARENTS HAVE YOUR INFORMATION – GIVE THEM A BUSINESS CARD or a SHORT NOTE.
- You will do what you can, however it works best for you, your teacher and the students in the classroom.
- THINGS THAT YOUR CLASS CAN AND SHOULD BE INVOLVED IN!
At various times during the year, you may be asked to round up volunteers and/or supplies from your classroom parents for the following events and activities:
- Teacher Needs (class room helpers, parties) Hopefully the teacher has a schedule or list of needs.
- Hands on Art
- Student Drop-Off
- Halloween Carnival
- Fall Fundraiser
- Silent Auction (November)
- PTA Membership (explain that PTA membership doesn’t mean that they have to volunteer!!)
- Teacher Gifts
- Box Tops
- Weekly School email
- Star Reading Program
- Website – class page available
- Red Ribbon Week
- Things announced at the town meeting or in Thursday packet.
WHERE DO I GO FOR HELP?
The Room Parent Co-ordinator is always available for you if you have any questions or concerns!
Also, we have a series of MS Word templates available for you to adapt for your class, for the purpose of collecting and distributing information - please check the Room Parent Resources locker in the left column.