WHAT IS A ROOM PARENT?
Room Parents coordinate communications and volunteer opportunities for your child’s classroom, PTA and the school, but you are not responsible for doing everything yourself. The main purpose is to be the communication link between classroom parents, your teacher and other people on campus (PTA, school activities, other community activities). We are trying to open up the lines of communication and make sure that all families at the school know what is going on and feel welcome to be involved where possible.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- Get to know the teacher, the kids, and parents in your classroom
- You will be given email addresses and it's your job to keep this information private - do not share this information with anyone.
- Use "Bcc" when sending all communications via email
- Make sure everyone has your contact information
- Make sure your email address is in the "To" section
- It's up to you with how much additional information you share about yourself other than an email address (e.g., phone, mobile, social media, etc).
- Do what you can, however, it works best for you, your teacher and the students in the classroom
- Don't do everything yourself -- ask for help -- there's always someone willing to help out.
WHAT ARE THE THINGS THAT YOUR CLASS CAN AND SHOULD BE INVOLVED IN?
- Teacher Needs (classroom volunteers, classroom parties, etc.). Your teacher should have a schedule and/or a list of needs.
- Hands on Art
- Student Valet Drop Off Classroom Scheduling
- PTA Halloween Carnival Classroom Booth
- PTA Cash Drive Fundraiser (Fall)
- PTA Jog-A-Thon Fundraiser (Spring)
- PTA Silent Auction
- PTA STAReading
- PTA Membership (explain that PTA membership doesn’t mean that they have to volunteer!!)
- Teacher Gifts (classroom gifts for birthday, end-of-year, etc.)
- Teacher Appreciation Week Activites & Luncheon (May), as well as Teacher Appreciation Grade-level Breakfasts (Feb-May)
- Weekly School Communication emails to Classroom Parents (Be sure to cc: your teacher and bcc: the parents)
- Red Ribbon Week & Yellow Ribbon Week activities
- Things announced at monthly Town Hall Meetings, on Madison Website or PTA Facebook page
WHERE DO I GO FOR HELP?
Our room parent coordinator, Deanna Lapen, is always available for you if you have any questions or concerns.