What Is A Room Parent?
Room Parents coordinate volunteer activities for their child’s classroom, but do NOT do everything! You will be the communication link between classroom parents and your teacher and other people on campus (PTA, school activities, other community activities). We are trying to open up the lines of communication and make sure that all families at the school know what is going on and feel welcome to be involved where possible.
What Do I Need To Do?
- Get information from all your parents – get to know them! A good time to do this is Back To School Night in September.
- Best phone number and time to contact them
- Email address
- When they are available
- What they like to do.
- MAKE SURE THE PARENTS HAVE YOUR INFORMATION – GIVE THEM A BUSINESS CARD or a SHORT NOTE.
- You will do what you can, however it works best for you, your teacher and the students in the classroom.
- THINGS THAT YOUR CLASS CAN AND SHOULD BE INVOLVED IN!
At various times during the year, you may be asked to round up volunteers and/or supplies from your classroom parents for the following events and activities:
- Teacher Needs (class room helpers, parties) Hopefully the teacher has a schedule or list of needs.
- Hands on Art
- Student Drop-Off
- Halloween Carnival
- Fall Fundraiser
- Silent Auction (November)
- PTA Membership (explain that PTA membership doesn’t mean that they have to volunteer!!)
- Teacher Gifts
- Box Tops
- Weekly School email
- Star Reading Program
- Website – class page available
- Red Ribbon Week
- Things announced at the town meeting or in Thursday packet.
Where Do I Go For Help?
The Room Parent Co-ordinator is always available for you if you have any questions or concerns!
Also, we have a series of MS Word templates available for you to adapt for your class, for the purpose of collecting and distributing information - please check the Room Parent Resources locker in the left column.